Monday, May 01, 2006

Addendum to Morrowind vs Oblivion

One of the things you find out quick in these games is that you reach a point, perhaps *too* early, where there's more loot around than you can carry. In "M", you will get access to the combination of "Mark", Almsivi/Divine Intervention, and "Recall". "Mark" creates a designated map location where you are standing (i.e., mark my location). Intervention teleports you to a Temple or wherever location (same one each time). Recall teleports you back to the "Mark" spot. Once you go get the game mod that puts a merchant at the various temple/etc locations you jump to, then you're all set. You grab all the loot you can, and overload yourself as much as you want, cast "Mark", call Intervention, sell everything, and cast Recall, to go back for more stuff or continue on from where you were. Works great, once you have the game mod. Otherwise, you can jump out with the loot, and drop, and go back, but you still would have to return and carry it all to a merchant, thus the need for the mod.

Far as I can tell, "O" doesn't have such a thing. Maybe I just haven't found it. Hope that happens soon...in Fort Grief and Veyond Cave, I had seriously good loot, very heavy, I had to make 3 or 4 trips back and forth to get it all dragged home and sold or stored. A bit time-consuming. I'd be happy if I could designate a single warp-to point, like my house (if I had one) or a favorite merchant. But because I don't, I don't really both with low-value loot. In "M" anything less than 1000 gold I don't even look at; I'm carrying about 1.5 mil, have another 2-3 mil in storage, what do I want with low-dollar stuff? I can make potions if I need to, but I don't, since I enchanted my armor to recover just about everything. The big gold is more for buying expensive enchantments.

This would also be valuable inside the Oblivion Gates. I was whacking plenty of Dremora in there, and they'd mostly have maces. Not particularly valuable, and too heavy to carry more than one of, but if I could jump out and drop them somewhere and deal with selling them later, and then jump back, I'd be willing and able to keep them. Normally when you grab the Sigil Stone at the eand of a Gate, the whole area is destroyed and becomes unavailable--and loot left behind is gone.

[Where this wouldn't work, and the reason I think "O" doesn't have this capability anywhere: the quest where you go to Fort Grief to rescue a guy is dependent on your just not being able to get out other than by completing the task. If you could do Almsivi Intervention escapes, the FG task becomes far less dangerous.]

I haven't investigated whether or not if I bribe a merchant upwards on friendliness how much better the prices get in my favor. It ought to work like that.

As others have written elsewhere, when you level up, other critters get stronger, and you get different critters.

No comments: