Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Bioshock

d/l'd the demo...installer ran ok, it didn't complain about my machine...but I got zip for video--a large dark brown rectangle. I could hear something happening, but no visuals at all.

no indication of what was wrong. UT04 still runs just fine. I find myself wondering if I had hardware trouble after being on vac in late august. went away for a week, powered everything down...when I came back, the PC did NOT want to boot; boot disk didn't get recognized by the mobo, so it dropped that disk from the boot order (why would you do that? let ME control that), and then when it WAS recognized, would not boot. took me a while, incl reboots and looking at the BIOS settings, before I figured out that was what had happened. I had feared it was the new 1GB RAM stick (which had been a problem in the beginning, where the machine did not want to boot with anything other than a 256 in one slot and one of my 512s in the other). So I was fiddling with RAM, and trying to figure out the disks...gad. Eventually: back to normal, but no idea why there was a prob.

Twas after this I did the bioshock d/l, and saw that weirdness. so then I went to check out some other games. Dungeon Siege 1 played fine, but 2 did not (really weird stuff with colors, and showing a gazillion triangles wiggling around (in game motion, and sparklies).

curses! now I'm a little bit worried about the machine. (any worse, and I have to change it's name to the beaver).

No comments: