Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Virtual World "games"

Having had a reason to look at Virtual World tools/games just recently (see "Change How We Teach"), I signed up for "Entropia Universe" because it's free. 2nd Life is free, too, but I tried this one first.

And it's just as bad as you might expect from something that costs nothing. I found it well-nigh unplayable, because the UI view and position jumped around like you wouldn't believe. I was trying to run, and it was like being John Cleese running up to the castle where he rescues the "maiden" in Holy Grail--I kept going back to a previous positions every couple of seconds...if I tried to turn, the camera view kept jumping back like I was rotating 90 degrees and then warping back where I started. This was intolerable.

The first time I was running it, things were fine, but that might have been time-of-day based, because it was at about 11pm EST. The really bad jumpiness was about 6pm EST, so I can imagine it being server-traffic/comm-delay/ping-time trouble. Not a good sign for a tool/game that wants to be taken seriously.

I'll try this again late tonight to see if time-of-day really does make a diff, but if it continues to be jumpy, it'll be time for "Add/Remove Programs". And then on to another one.

I have a project I'd like to try, but it necessitates having a good tool that can handle thousands of users/players simultaneously. It would run on a fiber-based network, so low ping would be the case all the time.

Several years ago I had a look at some other variation of this, an online 3D tool that one could make a game from, I do not remember the name. I recall it as something you could not actually do anything inside of, just run around, so all you saw were characters running and jumping.

Entropia seems like a cheap version of Oblivion, in which you can play a merchant as well as the main character. Otherwise, it's the same sort of thing only not as well done. You can collect things you find, kill critters (perhaps for loot), and sell things in town. From which you might buy weapons and armor. And you can learn to make things you could sell.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but: B-O-R-I-N-G. Surely there's something better...

------

Later: I rebooted PC, and restarted. The bad jumpiness went away, but it was still uninteresting. So I deleted it. I don't have time for this...

No comments: