Friday, February 08, 2008

Home Network Trauma

I have cable-modem-based internet connection. Over the last six months (or something like that) it has been having odd slowdowns, where it appears I'm just losing the signal or something.

So I happened to pass the tech guys at the mall booth at lunch 2 weeks ago, and asked about it. They said my cable modem is dying, I was really lucky to have gotten the number of years from it that I did (probably about 8), they said 3 was more realistic.

Well, I thought, I was one of the really early signups for access, so maybe the problem now is that it is being overwhelmed by the traffic volume on the cable (as I doubt they have class-C-subnetted all the neighborhoods in the county). And the standards have taken a step forward as well. So I went and got a new model, a Moto Surfboard.

Called the cable co to tell them the new MAC address, figured that would do it...but no, twas a disaster--nothing inside my house would work after that. I spend days trying to figure this out...went back to the old modem, trying to recover to where I was, to isolate the problem. It began to look like the router, but why would that suddenly go bad because I changed its input? A guy at work suggested I had gotten a lot of time out of the router, too...

These things run in a benign environment, electronics generally will last a long time like that. As a former hard reliability guy (early 80s), I know this. MTBF on component parts is generally in the million hours range at room temp. That's over 100 years. Failures are generally catastrophic, rather than slow degradation.

All of a sudden, however, it looks like the router has a break in the middle. The cable co can detect it from their side, and my machines can get DHCP addresses n stuff on my side, but nothing crosses the divide. I know the modem is still ok because I can separately test that from my laptop, and get outside just fine.

So I got a new router, too (Netgear, since that's the only one I saw at Best Buy that actually said "firewall" on the box). And then it turned out a cable was bad--not one of the crappy ones I made with a crimper, but one I bought (or it came with something). This time the router has 8 ports on it, which let me get rid of the little 10T punk switch I had in there limiting speeds internally. But I am still on the old modem, again, and still have the slowdowns. Maybe I can ebay the old router.

It took me four DAYS to get this figured out this far, and be back to "normal", i.e., working again.

Gotta get the Moto modem back in the picture, but I'm vaguely worried about that new arrangement. I do know it works solo, tested that too with just a laptop. But still...all I wanted was for the weird slowdowns/dropouts to stop, but this has so far cost me $210. I'm going to be perturbed if I spent that much only to achieve nothing more than eliminating the one little four-port switch.

The basic arrangement inside here isn't trivial. Wish I could inline a picture here...anyway, calbe modem connects to router/firewall. Router connects to wireless switch, another 8-port switch, a printer. The wired switch connects to most of the machines, the wireless to my laptop and my Apple TV unit. The old firewall only had one inside socket, so that went to the 4-port which then went to the other things. Now I have plenty of empty ports inside, and I can/will re-arrange a few items, probably just moving the printers.


(related: my laser printer had kind gone off-network for some reason. It had 3 sockets on the back, ethernet, paralle, USB, so I was able to set it up so that my wife's compy could use the USB, and my son's pc could use parallel, and my machines could use those two as print servers. awkward, but it worked. So I was able to get a new network card for the printer, off ebay, $25, in the hope that that was all I needed to replace. Installed that, and then discovered that I had to reset its IP Address back to the right subnet, the default was something 10.10.10.10 So I fixed that and it was back on the net...later I wondered if that was the problem with the original card--suppose it had just lost it's IP address (a static one I assigned it in my internal subnet, since it doesn't have to get outside, it doesn't need DHCP or DNS) ? It did not even occur to me that that could have happened...but I haven't put the old one back in to find out.

These things are apparently more sensitive than I thought...

For comparison: sitting on the bookcase across the room is a digital clock. Works fine, keeps good time unless there's a power outage or serious flicker. It has taken a few hits, so the display is slightly cockeyed, but not much. Never wrong about the time, it counts 60 Hz line frequency.

I built that clock in 1974. I've had it longer than nearly everything I own. A very small number of books and records I've had longer (I do have a fair number of books that are older than that, but I haven't had them that long).

So I know that electronics can last for a lot of years, even under power (the clock has been plugged in almost non-stop since I built it).


Unrelated, but about compy upgrades...I did swap out the old drives for the 500 GB units in my G5. That is nice to have a huge amount of space again.

No comments: