Saturday, April 22, 2017

OK, now I really *AM* retired

A short pome, from Thursday April 13:

Today I got fired
So now I'm retired.


And, as a friend put it a couple years ago: "When you're retired, ever day is saturday." And some of the actually ARE. Like today. I think today is saturday. Yesterday I wasn't sure what day it was. As if it even mattered :) Yesterday was saturday too. So is tomorrow.


Check the entry for Nov 10. Had a new job. Was hired for a specific contract, that contract never materialized, worked on some other stuff for them, but ultimately there was cash-flow issues, and as I wasn't critical to their success (yet) it was time to be done and gone.

Just as well, I need that time to work on the old house in order to sell it.

and I was going to give notice in a couple months anyway. I got to learn some new stuff, but it was clear to me that i was only half of the right person for the job.

Well, on Thursday the 13th I "got fired". It was abrupt, but polite. But it hadn't been all that exciting.

---

It will be fabulous being retired. It darn sure was back in October. My finances went up 5% since then, which is weird, but ok with me. Now I just have to sell the old house, get signed up for Obamacare, and live like a poor person for umpty years. And not work for someone else.

Yay!

---

One of the new things I learned is "Docker". This is kinda cool, and lets you avoid what is other an issue about contamination and collision of software pieces. Docker is a lightweight VM mechanism. I now know how to make Docker images from scratch, install other pieces in them, save/run/etc. This works best on Linux, unsurprisingly, but one thing it means is that you can run multiple flavors at the same time without having to dedicate hardware (which I don't have). I have tools of my own that want to run in Docker, don't need full machines or VMs, but do exist as services, and want to be isolated.

---

No comments: