Sunday, June 11, 2017

EMail programs

It is possible to use your web-browser to do your email work. I am currently doing this with Chrome and GMail. Can't say I like it, but it more-or-less works. I regularly press control-R to reply, only to have the browser window refresh itself because I forgot that that was what control-R does.

I used to use Seamonkey. That's a Mozilla product, and I was using it because of the set of tools it integrates, and is the real successor to Netscape's unified product (whose name I now don't remember, sorry Jamie...Communicator?)

Anyway. Mozilla products have problems these days (see earlier blog on this topic). There's something wrong on there somewhere that causes/allows memory leaks, and those always turn into problems at runtime eventually; not a BSOD or equiv, but exhausting memory, VirtMem, disk space...

Mozilla's alternative standalone email is Thunderbird, but it's still Moz, which means that the HTML rendering engine inside is the same as Firefox and SeaMonkey. Which means it is going to have the same mem-leak issue. So I can't be using this.

(fwiw, Chrome has some memory issue, too, I don't yet know quite what, but the way it runs means that if a window has a memory problem the others are not affected--Mozilla craters in toto if any one window is the source of the leak)

So I gotta try some other tools. I've used Outlook, not really interested in that. Going to start with things listed here:

http://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-free-email-client

The real question is what HTML engine is in use?

On my Macs I'll be using Apple Mail. That integrates nicely with my phone, ipad, and the multiple machines I use.

I liked Seamonkey. I just can't deal with the memory leaks.

I'd take suggestions for email programs from readers...

-----

Update: Opera Email is working pretty well for me. It's not as fancy as I'd like, there are some behavioral tweak I ought to be able to do, but can't. The alternative would be for me to write my own email program...which, now that I think of it, might be an interesting thing to do.

No comments: