Wednesday, February 29, 2012

YAGB 2

So I was wondering if I could ever play Alpha Centauri again...highest rated game ever by PC Gamer, and it didn't even make the top 100 in this year's list.

My installer doesn't get it done on Win7, but apparently GOG.COM has adapted it somehow, and the result works just fine. I was going to try to make myself a Win2k VM and run it there, or maybe even a Win98 VM, but it was $5 on GOG, and my time is worth more than that to try to figure out how to get a VM created and running properly. Won't be able to do this at all on my Mac, because SMAC was an OS9 game, and there's no longer any software path from there onto the Intel processor; I'd have to keep an older Mac around, not interested in doing that. (OK, and older Mini would maybe do it, and at least be small, but still...that'd be the only purpose)

So now I can play SMAC again--which is good, because that is a game with a lot of replayability, very challenging, especially at the higher skill levels, or smaller maps (wherein conflict stars a lot sooner).

Apparently you can also get Total Annihilation, so I did. Haven't tried that yet, and I didn't finish it way back when, but now I can try again. Also for $5. Hard to beat, esp given that for $5 NWN2 still sucked big time.

GOG is great.

No comments: